
Следвай
372
Изстрелване на ракети преди прекратяване на огъня в Нагорни-Карабах
13 898
03.04.2016
Azerbaijan army rocket launchers fired salvos at Armenian positions located in the disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, from sites in the Azerbaijani Tartar district on Saturday. Self-propelled guns can be seen moving along nearby roads, while farmers and other local citizens carry on with their daily tasks.
The bombardment was carried out a day before Azerbaijan's Defence Ministry announced the start of a unilateral cessation of hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh. Baku said it would resume fighting were its forces to be attacked.
The Nagorno-Karabakh territorial dispute erupted into violence on Friday night, with both Armenia and Azerbaijan blaming each other for the flare-up. The self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Defence Ministry released a statement on Saturday, saying that escalation of the conflict had been noted in the southern, south-eastern and north-eastern areas of the territory. Both sides reportedly used tanks, artillery and aircraft. Casualty figures are difficult to estimate since both sides have given different death tolls, although at least 30 soldiers are thought to have been killed in the fighting thus far.
The conflict over the area dates back to 1988, when Nagorno-Karabakh, a predominantly ethnic Armenian mountainous region, broke away from the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic. It declared independence in 1991, triggering a full-scale war which ended only after Russia brokered a ceasefire between the two countries in 1994. Clashes still break out periodically in the region, with the latest thought to be among the most serious since the 1994 truce. Nagorno-Karabakh is recognised by the United Nations as being part of Azerbaijan but has been under the control of Armenian military and separatist forces since 1994.
According to reports, Russian President Vladimir Putin has called on all sides to agree to a ceasefire.
The bombardment was carried out a day before Azerbaijan's Defence Ministry announced the start of a unilateral cessation of hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh. Baku said it would resume fighting were its forces to be attacked.
The Nagorno-Karabakh territorial dispute erupted into violence on Friday night, with both Armenia and Azerbaijan blaming each other for the flare-up. The self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Defence Ministry released a statement on Saturday, saying that escalation of the conflict had been noted in the southern, south-eastern and north-eastern areas of the territory. Both sides reportedly used tanks, artillery and aircraft. Casualty figures are difficult to estimate since both sides have given different death tolls, although at least 30 soldiers are thought to have been killed in the fighting thus far.
The conflict over the area dates back to 1988, when Nagorno-Karabakh, a predominantly ethnic Armenian mountainous region, broke away from the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic. It declared independence in 1991, triggering a full-scale war which ended only after Russia brokered a ceasefire between the two countries in 1994. Clashes still break out periodically in the region, with the latest thought to be among the most serious since the 1994 truce. Nagorno-Karabakh is recognised by the United Nations as being part of Azerbaijan but has been under the control of Armenian military and separatist forces since 1994.
According to reports, Russian President Vladimir Putin has called on all sides to agree to a ceasefire.
Виж повече
Виж по-малко